Welcome to SAPPMA
Southern African Plastic Pipe Manufacturers Association
Plastic piping is used across the complete spectrum of many industries - mining, civil, irrigation, industrial, telecommunication and building. Around 150 000 tons of pipe (PVC and HDPE) is produced annually in South Africa, representing many thousands of kilometers. Plastic piping networks form an integral, expensive, long term and extremely important part of the infrastructure of this country. The integrity of these networks, built up over many years is of critical importance, serving the water supply and sewage disposal needs of many millions of people. This clearly highlights the need for a responsible, ethical and quality conscious industry.
SAPPMA is an Association of leading companies in the plastics piping business, with the purpose of facilitating high standards of ethics, product quality and technical information. It is an open association, well regulated by strong Articles of Association and Code of Conduct and is registered as a Section 21 Company incorporated not for gain. All its business is conducted with due recognition to the Competitions Act 89 of 1998 and transparency is more than just a slogan.
The Purpose or Mission of SAPPMA is to create absolute customer confidence in the Plastics Pipe Industry, thereby ensuring long term sustainability and dynamic growth in this all-important industry. Plastic is clearly no longer an alternative pipe material, but has grown to a dominant position in piping systems worldwide, with an estimated share of more than 50%. Independent market surveys in South Africa indicate similar dominance in sizes up to 1 000mm diameter.
SAPPMA is not in competition with any accredited certification organisation, but plays a crucial coordinating role between all stakeholders in this industry. Because of the fact that its sole focus is on a relatively small (but crucially important) sector of industry, it is in a unique position to detect problems much earlier than any other organisation. In addition, SAPPMA does monitor its own members in terms of product quality and full adherance to all relevant national standards.
South Africa is a dry country and water is a scarce resource. With increasing demand and inconsistent rainfall, we can no longer afford the huge losses in pipelines (estimated to be of the order of 40%). The need is for piping systems that are leak-free and durable for extended lifetimes, up to 100 years. HDPE and PVC pipes answer this call with distinction. In addition, it is highly suitable for the rehabilitation of old pipelines.
Apart from the focus on product standards and long-term quality, SAPPMA fulfills an indispensible need for technical marketing and problem solving, not only within its membership, but also right throughout the industry. The combined technical expertise of its members is harnessed and coordinated by way of a Technical Committee, and this information is applied in the market place. In addition, SAPPMA authored and published a comprehensive Technical Manual for PVC and HDPE piping systems, which is regularly updated and distributed. With no commercial bias, this book is indispensible to designers and decision makers in the piping business.
Categories of Membership:
a. Pipe Manufacturers (PVC, PE-HD)
- Large: > 9000 tons per year
- Medium: 4500 – 9000 tons per year
- Small: 1500 – 4500 tons per year
- Micro: < 1500 tons per year
d. Polymer Manufacturers
e. Suppliers (Raw Materials/Auxiliaries)
f. Fittings Importers/Traders
h. Water Authorities/Municipalities/Consultants
j. Certification bodies
Please contact the SAPPMA administration office for the current membership fees
Piping Systems is one of the key elements of a country’s infrastructure – arguably the most important one (imagine life without reliable water supply and waste disposal). The design life of pipelines is at least fifty years while the cost of failure in terms of disruption and repairs is prohibitive. It is therefore a serious responsibility of the plastics piping Industry to provide the correct products to the community. Experience has taught that without continuous intervention, product quality and standards will inevitably deteriorate.
- Marketing benefit of the SAPPMA brand
- Informative interaction at the SAPPMA Technical Meetings
- Corporate input at SANS TC’s in terms of product standards
- SAPPMA factory audits - independent inspection and evaluation of production and quality assurance standards and policies
- Support to solve members’ technical problems in the market
- Structured interaction with certifying authorities and test labs
- Access to SAPPMA Internal Standards and Guidelines
- Participation in SAPPMA Technical Conferences
- The SAPPMA Technical Manual an independent source of valuable design information, widely used by consulting engineers
- Participation in the only forum for the plastics piping sector - part of a movement to promote and preserve the long term future of the Plastics Piping Industry
To Design Engineers & Customers
- By insisting on the SAPPMA mark when specifying or purchasing plastic pipes or fittings, additional assurance is obtained in terms of the quality of the product. SAPPMA members are self-regulating and bound by a strict Code of Conduct underwritten by the company’s chief executive
- Reliable and independent technical design information is always available from SAPPMA
- Valid complaints or queries are handled by a central body
- Factory audit certificates of SAPPMA members are further proof of high standards and regulation
- Open invitation to attend SAPPMA technical discussions
Purpose, Objectives and Focus
The Purpose/Mission of SAPPMA is to create absolute customer confidence in the Plastics Pipe Industry, thereby ensuring long term sustainability and dynamic growth.
- Promoting and monitoring product quality of member companies
- Interacting with SABS in terms of standards, certification, testing, monitoring and enforcing
- Fulfilling instrumental role in upgrading and amending existing standards
- Measuring state of industry in terms of relative volumes, growth & quality by regular market surveys
- Providing reliable and objective design information to the market by way of consultations, conferences and technical literature
- Promoting the growth of Polyolefin, Rigid & Flexible PVC and GRP piping systems
- Effective marketing of the Industry
- Creating awareness of conservation of energy and protection of the environment through effective use of plastic piping (no waste)
- Functional training (via PSA)
- Maintaining contact with design/consulting engineers
- Interacting with Government (DTI)
- Acting as a forum for the Industry
Main Focus Areas
Notes about SAPPMA and Certification
Although regular audits of factories, systems and products are a key function of SAPPMA, we are not in competition with certification authorities. The most important differences are as follows:
- SAPPMA does not make profit out of audits, being a registered non-profit company
- SAPPMA is not accredited by SANAS
- Our audits are conducted by individuals who have extensive knowledge of plastic pipe manufacturing, with many years’ experience in this industry
- Auditors are therefore capable to offer practical advice to improve systems where shortcomings are identified
- Auditing and control are just one of our functions, complementary to:
- Dispensing technical information and training
- Development of product standards and methodologies
- Marketing of plastic pipe systems
- A coordinating role in the complete value chain
Manufacturers who are approved to use the SAPPMA brand on their products and literature gain significant benefit in the market. SAPPMA’s dedicated service of seventeen years to the designer and the consumer has built a strong brand awareness. The market knows that SAPPMA is the go-to place for all matters related to plastic pipe systems and that all complaints or queries are dealt with effectively.